Don't let acne ruin your beauty routine or discourage you.
Often times a change in the routine of your skin care is what you need to help you have clear skin. Here are our top 5 tips to clear skin:
- Wash your face twice a day. Never go to bed with makeup on or begin your day without clean skin. Not washing off makeup or cleaning the skin can cause a buildup of bacteria that can cause breakouts. Choose a cleanser with an acne fighting ingredient like benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid.
- Keep your hands off your face. You spend the day touching lots of things (i.e., phones, keyboards, and door knobs) where other hands have been and where bacteria can collect. Keeping your hands off your face will reduce the chance of acne caused by bacteria.
- Don't pick your skin. When you have a breakout, do not pick at it or squeeze it. As tempting as it is to pop a pimple it will only cause further inflammation and may leave a scar that will last far longer than a pimple will. Instead carry an acne spot treatment with you, so if you feel a breakout forming or have one you are tempted to squeeze you can medicate it instead of aggravating it.
- Relax. Stress can cause breakouts. Take time to do something to help you relax, like listening to music, reading a book, and exercising. Whatever helps you stay calm will help keep your skin feeling calm too.
- Choose acne friendly makeup. Not all makeup is created equal. The concealer, foundation, and powders you are using to hide your breakouts may be causing or aggravating them. Look for makeup that is non-comedogenic (meaning it will not clog your pores) which will help reduce your chance of developing new breakouts. Mineral makeup (like Bare Minerals) is a good option for acne prone skin because it is non-comedogenic and it is safe for sensitive skin.